Wednesday, February 11, 2015

How I Got To Study Abroad

Traveling the world is on the list of dreams for A LOT of people. I’ve been fortunate enough to do some. But there was a certain type of traveling that was very important to me and that was studying abroad. My sister spent a semester in Denmark and described her experience as life changing. So I knew that I had to study in another country, whatever one it may be.

When the time came in my college career I went to the study abroad office and fairs for as much information as possible. I ended up deciding I had to go to South Africa. I had been involved with the ONE campaign and had a large curiosity surrounding the HIV/AIDs epidemic therefore South Africa seemed like a great choice. And on top of that, I figured at some point in my life I would make it over to Europe so I didn’t NEED to go there. I also wanted something very different from my county and culture. Again, South Africa was the best choice.


I ended up choosing the AIFS program to study at Stellenbosch University – this is the best decision I have ever made in my life!

It wasn’t easy getting there though…

There were two major obstacles I had to overcome. First, I had to apply and get accepted into the program. And second, I had to pay for the trip.

I applied to the program for Spring semester, apparently this was the more difficult semester to get into. I was rejected. With my devastation I fought back. I spoke with mentors and teachers and perfected my second application for the following semester. There was no way they could keep me from going to South Africa! And they didn’t – with a bit more focus and help I was accepted. (Everything happens for a reason, right?!) Now with the application process out of the way I needed to figure out a plan to pay for this extravagant semester. I worked with my school about getting scholarships and grants. There were only a few I qualified for but of course I applied to one. Unfortunately, I was rejected. I had spent so much time on this application for nothing. I was starting to think that this trip was doomed! Clearly the universe was trying to tell me not to go. But, because my mentor saw how passionately I felt about going she worked some magic and created a scholarship for me. She reached out to Chapman Trustees and found someone to support me. I then became a Henley International Scholar.

We made it!

Passion got me to South Africa! And that’s all you need for your dreams as well. Let your passion drive you and let it plow through any obstacle you find! A bit more realistically, work with your school's study abroad office, scholarship department, or a professor from your major (if your semester abroad is related).

Where is your dream travel destination? Comment below and tell me why you HAVE to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment