Wednesday, June 17, 2015

"Me" Time

We have all experienced a very full and hectic schedule. For me, May was one of the busiest months of my life! The hardest part was working 40 hours a week and being a part-time student at UC Riverside. On the days I had class; I woke up at 5am to be at work for 7am. I then left at 4pm to drive 2 hours to class from 6-10pm. I did not get into bed until earliest 11:30pm. I did this twice a week and it had been exhausting! My free time after work and on my lunch breaks were filled with homework – accounting is SO much work! 

I didn't have any free time!

And that’s exactly what this post is about. When you’re life gets crazy you need to make sure to fit in some time to relax and quiet your mind. It’s extremely important to find that “me” time in order for you to continue to succeed when things get difficult. 


Because I spend so much time at a desk, in the car, or in the classroom, I take a walk around my office building at least once a day. I also try to walk up the stairs (to the 7th floor!) in order to get my heart pumping. This time-out is for me to reset. I do not think about anything that I need to get done; I listen to the birds and the nearby fountain. I feel the sun on my skin and the wind on my checks. I let the beauty of nature fill my heart. This activity only takes 5 minutes so it’s very easy to fit into that chaotic schedule!



Another trick of mine is to watch a 30 minute TV show I like during dinner. Two birds with one stone! (That’s so morbid…) I love TV; it helps me to relax because instead of worrying about my problems, I’m consumed by the characters. Therefore, on the days I’m on my own for meal time I take advantage. All the health blogs tell you not to eat while watching TV but I can’t take any extra time I have away from homework. So with my plate in hand, I cozy up on the couch and join the world of Younger or New Girl! And by the time the show is over, my plate is empty. No precious time has been wasted and I feel refreshed. 

These tricks are what helped me survive the month of May. I look back and wonder how I stayed strong and realize that I never felt drained. On paper I should have been but I did a nice job of balancing my responsibilities with my “me” time. 

What tricks do you use to optimize your “me” time? Let me know in a comment below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment