Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Career Change Decisions

Remember when I told you that change is okay? Well I had to remind myself of this recently. A few months back I had created a specific plan with check-points and goals to reach my dream of owning my own clothing store. At the end of February, I was at a turning point. I had planned to make a career change to allow myself more time for school and to further educate myself, through work, on the retail business.

After reviewing my budget with a job offer in consideration, I realized that I needed to change my plan. Switching roles was not going to support me financially like I had previously thought. So I had to come up with a new plan. I am no longer planning to make this career change so that I can save enough money to start up my business sooner than anticipated!

However, this change did not come easy. I spent two days as an emotional wreck. I wrote about 5 different Pros and Cons lists as I flip-flopped with which decision to go with. I had conversations with family members and friends in hopes that their opinions could help me navigate the thoughts in my head. I was realizing that neither decision felt right but I couldn’t find option 3! So what I did was modify my options. I stripped them of any and all emotions and focused on the big picture.

It doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you get there!

I may not be 100% happy with my decision, but I am 100% about changing my plan. I know that this will be more beneficial for me and my business.

My advice for you:

Strip the decisions of any emotions. When you make your Pros and Cons list look at the items and figure out if your feelings are driving it. And I mean all emotions, good or bad. Look at the reality. This was the hardest part for me!

Modify the options. Try to adjust them so that they fit your big picture plan as best they can. My job offer did not provide enough compensation so all I did was ask if it was negotiable. Come to find out it was, they offered me more and they even offered me a different position that provided even more compensation than the second offer!

Talk it out. Present your decision to family and friends who can look at it from a different angle. They can provide their opinion and help you understand more Pros and Cons for your options. You’ll find incredible support by doing this. But remember, the decision is yours and yours alone. Do not let anyone else make it for you!

I know I’m going to have many more of these “forks-in the-roads” so I’m going to need to hear from you! How do you make extremely hard decisions? Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment